As of June 12, 2020, per direction from Governor Holcomb’s Executive Order #20-32, the following is an update to what’s open or closed in the City of Hammond Parks and Recreation department.
The following facilities are now open with certain social distancing requirements and reduced hours for certain facilities. Please call each facility for more info.
- Civic Center fitness center
Now open with certain restrictions
Call (219) 853-6378 for more details.
- Jean Shepherd Community Center
- Sportsplex Community Center
(the walking track has limited hours)
All park facilities, athletic fields, playgrounds, dog parks, trails, skate parks, disc golf courses, outdoor workout equipment, etc. and Hammond Port Authority facilities are now open, with a few noted closures below.
- Shelter users also have to abide by certain capacity limits for the current stage which is no more than 250 people.
- Organized sports and contact sport permit holders also are required to have a COVID response plan on file with the Lake County Health Department.
- There is a requirement for social distancing to occur.
- Masks are encouraged.
- If you are sick, please stay home.
- Please cover your sneeze, cough and frequently wash hands and/or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Guests are urged not to eat in the parks without frequently washing or sanitizing your hands.
The following facilities are still closed:
- Hessville Park interactive water feature
- MLK Park interactive water feature
- Wolf Lake Aquatic Center
Thank you to everyone for helping to slow the spread and for social distancing efforts. Keep up the good work following CDC guidelines to help stop the spread of COVID-19. These continued safety precautions will help us all be as safe as possible and limit the potential risk that we have as progress to a ‘new normal’ and get to enjoy our parks and recreational facilities.