- North Township Trustee – 219-932-2530
- Habitat for Humanity – 219-845-9820
- Hammond Hispanic Community Committee – 219-932-4800
- Indiana Development Finance Authority – 317-233-4332
- Salvation Army – 219-838-0380
- School City of Hammond Building Trades Program – 219-933-2400
- Catholic Charities – 219-844-4883
In addition to the above, local banks are good sources for special equity and repair loans.
The Commission, formed in 1985, holds monthly meetings, sponsors a ramp assistance program that provides assistance to residents with the installation of wheelchair ramps , and hosts an annual awards breakfast that honor individuals, local businesses and organizations that have improved the lives of the disabled. The Mayors appoints people who live and/or work in Hammond to the Commission. Each member serves a three-year term and may be reappointed.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) became a federal law in 1990. It forbids discrimination against otherwise qualified individuals on the basis of physical or mental handicap. This law is designed to end most physical barriers to disabled persons in employment and in the use of accommodations, transportation and telecommunications.