Sanitation Department


601 Conkey Street (map)
Hammond, IN 46324
Phone: 219-853-6433
Fax: 219-853-6353
Email: Click here

Office Hours

Monday through Friday
8:00am – 4:00pm

Monday through Friday
6:00am – 2:30pm

Deputy Director

Johnny Perez

What We Do

We Empty City Garbage Carts (when kitchen garbage is properly disposed of.)
  • Garbage must be out the night before your day of pick-up.
  • Garbage must be wrapped in plastic garbage bags and put in city garbage carts only.
  • Carts must have only kitchen garbage in them and be less than 50 lbs.
  • If the city cart is broken, call 853-6433 so we can check to see if we can fix it.
We pickup paper yard waste bags from curb for recycling.
  • Every person must bag yard waste that is to be picked up.
  • Yard waste bags must be 30 gallon, biodegradable, paper yard waste bags only. You can buy them at the hardware or grocery stores in bundles of five.
  • Yard waste bags must be out the night before your garbage pick-up, and placed at the curb only.
  • Yard waste bags cannot be broke open or too heavy to lift. They must be less than 50 lbs. and cannot have dirt, sod, paper, plastic, or anything that is not leaves, grass, plants, or twigs in them.
  • We do take yard waste to be recycled, not to the landfill. The same garbage truck does not pick-up garbage and yard waste at the same time. The landfill will not let us mix yard waste with garbage.
  • We pick-up yard waste on the same day as your garbage pick-up day beginning the first week of April through the last week of November, weather permitting.
Trash Pickup

Enter your address into our interactive map to find your scheduled pickup day.

View Map

Business Trash Pickup

Businesses and three or more apartments must get private dumpster service. Just give the water department a copy of your service contract or agreement so they can stop billing you for city pick-up. The city does not own dumpsters.

Please Note
The Code Enforcement office at City Hall will send out citations for ordinance violations at the alley line. If garbage is on the ground, excessive, or if the alley line is a mess and there are improper containers (non-city garbage cans), residents will be cited.
  • Residents must pay for the cart at 601 Conkey.
  • If they can take their cart home with them, they must take their receipt to 601 Conkey Street, Sanitation Department, to pick-up their garbage cart.
  • If they need the cart delivered, they can just let the Sanitation Department know that when they pay and give them their telephone number. The Sanitation will call to make arrangements to have the cart delivered, but someone must sign for it.
  • The owner is responsible for their garbage cart. If your garbage cart is stolen, burnt, or hit and run damaged, you must call the non-emergency police at 853-6490, and file a report over the phone. They will give you a report or case number. Write the number on a piece of paper and take it to 601 Conkey, where you will pay half price ($27.50) to replace the cart if you have the case number. The City picks up the other half of the cost.
  • If you need an additional garbage cart (for kitchen garbage only), the price is $55.00 each.
  • If you just bought a house, and there is no city garbage cart there, take your Deed, Warranty Deed, or Mortgage to the Sanitation Dept., 601 Conkey St., or fax a copy with your phone number (fax # 853-6353), and we will give you your first cart free. (Someone has to sign for the cart if we deliver it).
  • Once we deliver the cart, we are no longer responsible for it, the owner is.
  • Please put your address on the cart.
  • If the lid, bar, or wheels need fixing, please call us at 853-6433 and report it to be fixed.
  • When the resident moves, he should leave the garbage cart at the address it is assigned to. Every cart has a number engraved on the side of it in white. These numbers are assigned to addresses.
The Sanitation Department is experiencing a lot of problems with garbage pick-ups. We have organized a list of items that should not be put in the city green garbage carts. Remember, the carts are for kitchen garbage only.

  • Human feces
  • Brake Fluid
  • Deer (animal carcasses)
  • Gasoline
  • Cement
  • Oil
  • Wood
  • Bleach
  • Sand
  • Ammonia
  • Dirt
  • Pool Chemicals
  • Sod
  • Bleach
  • Branches
  • Paint (oil based)
  • Roofing shingles
  • Yard Waste (leaves, grass, weeds…)
  • Miscellaneous Junk

Some of the above items can be picked up by the Street Department, but you must call them for a special pick-up after you put them out (853-6431).

Some of the above items can only be dropped off at one of the Lake County Solid Waste Hazardous Waste drop offs between April – October. Call Recycling (853-6622 or LCSW at 769-3820 for more information.)

Water based paint needs to be dried up (no liquid), for us to pick up. Leave the lid off until dried, or put sand or kitty litter in it to absorb the liquid in the paint. When dried, put on the ground next to the garbage can, and the Sanitation Department will pick up with the garbage. (If we pick it up paint with liquid in it or oil, when we compress, the liquid will go all over the alley and your car tires will go through it and leave a mess. Be considerate).

If roaches are present, the garbage WILL NOT get picked up.

There is an ordinance that states loose garbage should be wrapped (put in plastic garbage bags) and then put in garbage carts. (Example: Dirty diapers and dog feces should be triple wrapped).

You are responsible for your city garbage cart. Please put your address on it. If wheels or bars break, or lids fall off, please contact the Sanitation at (219) 853-6433 for repairs.

Remember, recycling takes a lot out of your garbage can… please recycle!

Important Phone Numbers

  • Code Enforcement’s telephone number is 853-6447 (alley problems).
  • Sanitation Dept.’s telephone number is 853-6433 (garbage and/or yard waste pick-up and garbage carts).
  • Street Dept’s telephone number is 853-6431 (misc. junk and branch pick-up).

Latest News

Share this Page