Parks & Recreation
Sportsplex Office Manager
February 1, 2023
$50,000 DOQ annually/full-time
The Sportsplex Office Manager is responsible to the Sportsplex General Manager. The primary function of the Sportsplex Office Manager is to oversee operations of the Sportsplex Front Desk. This includes office operations, scheduling of party rooms, deposits, staffing, activity registrations (paper and online), social media and facility management at the Sportsplex. This includes but is not limited to staffing, training, scheduling, ordering and other associated tasks with operating the seven day a week operation at the Sportsplex. This includes ensuring the highest level of customer service of all Sportsplex staff. Due to the varying nature of the work, evening and weekends hours are required.
Works under the general supervision of the Sportsplex General Manager for the Parks and Recreation department. Position is part of the Hammond Parks and Recreation administrative team.
Supervises and directs all office operations as assigned. Supervises office, maintenance, custodial and other staff as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Prepare annual budgets for areas of responsibility and work within those guidelines for operations of area of responsibility
- Knowledge and skills of planning, organizing and conducting successful Front Office
- Work closely with department staff to coordinate all facility operations
- Develop and implement safe operations guidelines for staff in conjunction with supervisors
- Hire, supervises, trains, schedules and evaluates staff for the control desk, maintenance, custodians and facility activities to ensure building operations
- Handle money, operate and balance cash register, make daily deposits, secure petty cash, prepare and secure cash drawer(s) for change, coordinate credit card purchases abiding by City policy in coordination with bookkeeper, City Controller’s office and State Board of Accounts policies
- Verifies and tracks monies form various areas of the Sportsplex and prepares for submission to Controller’s Office
- Facilitate effective communication, leadership and problem-solving skills with customers and staff
- Implements rules and procedures as approved by Board of Park Commissioners for registration, staff, and all other necessary requirements to operate facility
- Trains staff to provide the highest customer service
- Oversee, schedule and coordinate facility events and building operations for use
- Plan, develop and implement coordination of facility maintenance and capital improvements
- Assigns specific tasks to College Bound Volunteers, Community Service Workers, Volunteers or other assigned employees to perform work to meet department goals or program needs
- Follows or initiates correct procedure during emergency situations (weather, medical, etc.)
- Observes all regulations that pertain to you as staff member and oversee the same for supervised staff
- Trains and performs other duties as assigned to ensure a quality experience for customers
- Acts in a hospitable manner during facility use and ensures the same of other supervised staff
- Perform other duties as required and other tasks as assigned
Serves as a member of various employee committees, as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in Park and Recreation Administration, Leisure Studies, Facility Management or related
- One (1) – Three (3) years’ experience in working as a facility manager or other similar equivalent experience in a supervisory position dealing with parks, recreation and/or athletics related activities
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess the knowledge and skills for planning, organizing, operating Sportsplex facility
- Possess the ability to train, manage, schedule and oversee operations for the Sportsplex control desk, front line customer service and facility maintenance personnel
- Ability to work well with coworkers, the general public and facility users as well as be driven to work well independently
- Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills both written and verbal communication
- Must have computer literacy in word processing, data base, spread sheets and desktop publishing programs
- Possess the knowledge of the athletics including basketball, volleyball and soccer
- Ability to speak Spanish is desired
- State of Indiana Driver’s License
- First Aid, CPR and AED certification
- Proof of and continued residency in the City of Hammond during employment term
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is frequently required to stand and/or walk; use hands to handle or operate equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must routinely lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristic here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy. Approximately 70% of the position is done in an office setting while the other part is done in City of Hammond Parks and Recreation facilities.
Formal application including salary history, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; background check may be required, job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
This position description does not constitute an employment contract. The City is an at-will employer.