Hammond Housing Authority - Maintenance Division
Service Person I
May 22, 2023
$38,000.00 annually full-time
- High School Diploma or GED
- Working knowledge of electricity, mathematics, carpentry, painting, plumbing
- Good communication skills
- Ability to operate simple hand operated tools and janitorial equipment
- Knowledge of cleaning products, equipment and their uses
- Ability to lift and maneuver up to forty (40) pounds, climb ladders, stairs and work in high areas
- Ability to follow written/verbal direction from supervisors/more skilled crafts persons
- Willingness to attend formal and informal classes, workshops and/or seminars to improve job related skills and secure certification as required
- Must possess valid driver’s license to operate HHA vehicles and be insurable
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for the cleanliness and upkeep of various Housing Authority owned tools and equipment as assigned
- Maintain proper inventory of truck/work stock including reporting materials used each day on proper reporting forms and replenish stock as required
- Complete work order forms as required, listing all materials used
- When appropriate, instruct resident in proper operation of equipment located in their residence
- When noted, report all infractions of Housing Authority lease such as clean housekeeping, improper appliance maintenance, fire hazards, etc.
- Report (in writing), maintenance deficiencies or repairs needed to supervisor
- Report to Maintenance Director any on-the-job problems noted, suggestions for improvement, or future maintenance needs
- Perform housing unit rehabilitation duties as assigned
- When assigned assist Service Person II or Service Person III and take instruction from them to improve own skills
- Assist with junk/trash removal
- Perform general janitorial duties including but not limited to: empty trash and paper containers; vacuum carpets; sweep, mop, strip and wax floors; dust and polish furniture; clean rest room toilets, sinks, and floors; wash windows and mirrors; replace light bulbs and fixtures
- Any and all other duties and/or responsibilities determined by Executive Director
Service Person I Skills:
- Carpentry – simple repairs to roofs, shingles, gutters, trim, gypsum board and related interior structures
- Electrical – use electrical meters and devices, repair/replace (under supervision) electrical switches, outlets, lighting devices, etc.
- Plumbing – simple plumbing repairs such as repair/replace faucets, supply lines, under supervision clean out drain blockages, repair/replace toilets
- Heating – replace filters as assigned, assist more skilled crafts persons in repairs to furnaces, boilers, and hot water heaters
- Appliances – deliver stoves and refrigerators, clean stoves and refrigerators and check for proper operation, make simple adjustment and replacement of parts under supervision
- Painting – use painting tools/equipment, such as paintbrushes, rollers, taping/putty knives and related equipment; perform painting duties as assigned
- General – use lawn equipment, clean grounds, replace window glass/screen, inspect/repair smoke detectors, remove/install floor tile, under supervision repair plaster/gypsum board, change locks and maintain lawn equipment.
This list is not all encompassing with detailed duties to fulfill the general functions of this position.
Hiring will be done in accordance with Hammond City Ordinance #8620 as it pertains to the residency requirement.
Position will be posted internally only from May 22, 2023 until May 26, 2023. If the position is not filled internally it will be held open for external applications an additional ten (10) days. The position will remain posted until filled or no more than 10 days.