Department: Law Department
Job Title: Legal Secretary
Date Requested: March 10, 2021
Date needed: ASAP
Salary: $42,500.00 annually full-time
- Ability to type with accuracy and speed
- Analytical ability to handle litigation, problem solving and assistance to the City of Hammond’s legal team
- Ability to maintain a filing system
- Ability to deal tactfully with public
- Ability to compose routine correspondence
- Knowledge of English grammar, spelling & punctuation
- Knowledge of general office procedures
- Knowledge of functions of all city departments
- Prior legal secretarial experience preferred, but not required
- Computer skills preferred: knowledge of Word, Excel, Adobe and knowledge and experience with both federal (PACER/ECF) and state online filing systems (Odyssey/MyCase)
- Ability to work well under pressure and to complete work within tight time frames.
Hiring will be done in accordance with Hammond City Ordinance #8620 as it pertains to the residency requirement.
Position will be posted internally from July 20, 2021 thru July 26, 2021. If the position is not filled internally it will be held open for external applications an additional ten (10) days. The position will remain posted until filled or no more than 10 days.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.