Hammond Sanitary District
Lead Payroll Clerk
October 26, 2023
- Due to the responsibility of this position, experience is non-negotiable.
- Supervisory Experience
- Full Charge Payroll for 100+ employees
- Experience processing payroll with multiple union contracts.
- Workable knowledge of computerized payroll systems
- Ability to compute rates and percentages and to prepare payroll.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as time sheets, payroll forecasts, multiple union contracts and procedure manuals.
- Knowledge of State and Federal payroll rules and regulations
- Computer knowledge of Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Excel and Word.
- Ability to communicate proficiently verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to type 60 WPM or more.
- Ability to operate a keyboard, fax machine, copy machine and 10-key calculator efficiently.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to meet various deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to be flexible and deal tactfully with people on the telephone as well as with other department personnel.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Operate various office machines, computers, and printers.
- High School Diploma or GED AND five-year related work experience – NON-NEGOTIABLE
- Must be bondable.
- Restricted schedule during board meeting preparation, as well as monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting periods – NON-NEGOTIABLE
- Reviews payroll data such as hours worked, shift differentials, overtime hours, taxes, insurances, dues to be withheld from time sheets and other records.
- Reviews wages computed and detect errors to ensure accuracy of payroll
- Prepares biweekly, quarterly and annual fiscal reports for PERF, state, and federal government agencies.
- Prepares periodic reports of earnings, taxes and deductions.
- Reviews records concerning holiday pay and acting pay for accuracy.
- Reviews updated records of employees concerning sick time, vacation time, personal time, and time returned.
- Types routine correspondence as required.
- Reviews payroll salaries, overtime and any other statistical reports and charts
- Answers any questions regarding paychecks.
- Files correspondence and other records
- Makes copies of correspondence and other printed matter
- Reviews general ledger entries for related payroll transactions for accuracy.
- Pull data as requested for audits for State Board of Accounts
- Performs other duties as assigned by Business Manager or CEO
Work must be performed without direct supervision and requires much detail and accuracy. Work involves telephone and personal contact.
Personal Work Relationships:
Contact involves immediate staff, city employees, financial institutions, and governmental agencies.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
All work is performed in an office.