Assistant Recreation Facility Operations Manager
January 12, 2024
$42,000.00 - $44,720.00 DOQ
The Assistant Recreation Facility Operations Manager is responsible to the Parks and Recreation Administrator. The primary function of the Assistant Recreation Facility Operations Manager is to help oversee operations of all assigned recreation facilities which will include Civic Center, Pulaski Park Ice Rink & Senior Center, Hessville Park water feature, MLK Park water feature, and all other park shelters and facilities as assigned. This includes but is not limited to staffing, training, scheduling, ordering and other associated tasks with operating assigned recreation facilities. This includes ensuring the highest level of customer service of all Civic Center staff.
Works under the general supervision of the Administrator for the Parks and Recreation department and the Recreation Facility Operations Manager. This position is part of the Hammond Parks and Recreation administrative team.
Supervises and directs all assigned support, maintenance, janitorial and other staff or volunteers as required to operate recreational facilities for exceptional visitor experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Responsible for opening and closing of assigned recreation facilities during seasons of use as well as maintaining same facilities to preserve their long-term availability for users
- Schedules and issues permits for recreation facility use including ball fields, football fields, rugby field, soccer fields, tennis courts, disc golf courses, and other assigned recreational facilities
- Schedules, coordinates and supervises assigned facility use between City operations and other interested users
- Work closely with department staff to coordinate all facility operations
- Develop and implement safe operations guidelines for staff in conjunction with supervisors
- Facilitate effective communication, leadership and problem-solving skills with customers and staff
- Implements rules and procedures as approved by Board of Park Commissioners for registration, staff, and all other necessary requirements to operate facilities
- Trains staff to provide the highest customer service
- Plan, develop and implement coordination of facility maintenance and capital improvements
- Assigns specific tasks to College Bound volunteers, Community Service workers and/or volunteers or other assigned employee to perform work to meet department goals/program needs
- Follows and initiates the correct procedure during emergency situations (weather, medical, etc.)
- Observes all regulations that pertain to you as staff member and oversee same for supervised staff
- Trains and performs other duties as assigned to ensure a quality experience for customers
- Acts in a hospitable manner during facility use and ensures the same of other supervised staff
- Perform other duties as required and other tasks as assigned
Serves as a member of various employee committees, as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED
- One (1) – Three (3) years’ experience working in a position dealing with parks, recreation and/or athletics related facilities and/or activities
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess the knowledge and skills for planning, organizing and operating recreation facilities
- Possess the ability to train, manage, schedule and oversee operations for the Parks and Recreation facilities, event operations, and facility maintenance personnel
- Demonstrated ability to work well with coworkers, the general public and facility users as well as be driven to work well independently
- Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills both in written and verbal communication
- Must have computer literacy in word processing, data base, spread sheets and desktop publishing programs
- Possess the knowledge of athletics, recreation, special event operations
- State of Indiana Driver’s License
- First Aid, CPR and AED certification
- Proof of and continued residency in the City of Hammond during employment term
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is frequently required to stand and/or walk; use hands to handle or operate equipment; reach with hands and arms.
The employee must routinely lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristic here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy. Approximately 60% of the position is done in an office setting while the other part is done in City of Hammond Parks and Recreation facilities.
Formal application including salary history, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; background check may be required, job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
This position description does not constitute an employment contract. The City is an at-will employer.