Department: Parks & Recreation
Job Title: Sportsplex Office Registrar & Concessions Supervisor
Date Requested: December 28, 2018
Date needed: ASAP
Salary: $40,000-$42,000 DOQ annually/full-time
Hiring will be done in accordance with Hammond City Ordinance #8620 as it pertains to the residency requirement.
The Sportsplex Office Registrar & Concessions Supervisor is responsible to the Sportsplex General Manager. The primary function of the Sportsplex Office Registrar & Concessions Supervisor is to oversee front line of Sportsplex office operations, staff, activity registration, concessions operations, management at the Sportsplex along with dept. concession stands. This includes but is not limited to staffing, training, scheduling, ordering and other associated tasks with operating the seven day a week operation at the Sportsplex. This includes ensuring the highest level of customer service of front line staff.
Works under the general supervision of the Administrator for the Parks and Recreation department. This position is part of the Hammond Parks and Recreation administrative team.
Supervises and directs all office operations and concessions operations for the Sportsplex as well as any other department concessions operations. Supervises administrative assistants and other staff as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare annual budgets for areas of responsibility and work within those guidelines for operations of area of responsibility
- Knowledge and skills of planning, organizing and conducting successful concessions and front line office operations
- Work closely with dept. staff to coordinate office & concessions operations during necessary times
- Handle money, operate and balance cash register, make daily deposits, secure petty cash, prepare and secure cash drawer(s) for change, coordinate credit card purchases abiding by City policy in coordination with bookkeeper, City Controller’s office and State Board of Accounts policies
- Develop and implement safe operations guidelines for staff in conjunction with supervisors
- Hire, supervises, trains, schedules and evaluates staff for the control desk, concessions and associated for facility activities to ensure building operations
- Facilitate effective communication, leadership and problem solving skills with customers and staff specific to front desk and concessions operations
- Implements rules and procedures as approved by Board of Park Commissioners for registration, staff, and all other necessary requirements
- Trains staff to provide the highest customer service
- Keeps accurate records per policy including time sheets as required for supervised staff as required
- Assigns specific tasks to College Bound Volunteers, Community Service Workers, Volunteers or other assigned employees to perform work to meet department goals or program needs
- Follows and initiates the correct procedure during emergency situations (weather, medical, etc.)
- Observes all regulations that pertain to you as a staff member and oversees the same for supervised staff
- Trains and performs other duties as assigned to ensure a quality experience for customers
- Acts in a hospitable manner during facility use and ensures the same of other supervised staff
- Perform other duties as required and other tasks as assigned
Serves as a member of various employee committees, as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, food service or related
- One (1) – Three (3) years’ experience in working as an office manager, registrar, concessions manager or other similar equivalent experience in a supervisory position dealing with office and food service related activities
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess the knowledge and skills for planning, organizing and operating a concessions operations
- Possess ‘ServSafe Food Handler’ certification or have the ability to acquire certification within two months of hire
- Possess the ability to train, manage, schedule and oversee operations for the Sportsplex control desk, concessions operations and front line customer service personnel
- Ability to work well with coworkers, the general public and facility users as well as be driven to work well independently
- Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills both written and verbal communication
- Must have computer literacy in word processing, database, spreadsheets and desktop publishing programs
- Possess the knowledge of the athletics including basketball, volleyball and soccer
- Ability to speak Spanish is desired
- State of Indiana Driver’s License
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Proof of and continued residency in the City of Hammond during employment term
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is frequently required to stand and/or walk; use hands to handle or operate equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must routinely lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristic here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy. Approximately 70% of the position is done in an office setting while the other part is done in City of Hammond Parks and Recreation facilities.
Formal application including salary history, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; background check may be required, job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
This position description does not constitute an employment contract. The City is an at-will employer.
Position will be posted internally from December 28, 2018 thru January 7, 2019. If the position is not filled internally it will be held open for external applications an additional ten (10) days. The position will remain posted until filled or no more than 10 days.