Department: Parks and Recreation
Date Requested: March 2, 2018
Date needed: April 2, 2018
Job Title: Sportsplex General Manager
Salary: $75,000-$85,000 DOQ
Hiring will be done in accordance with Hammond City Ordinance #8620 as it pertains to the residency requirement.
The Sportsplex General Manager is responsible to the Parks and Recreation Department Administrator. The primary function of the Sportsplex General Manager is to oversee operations and management of the 145,000 sq. ft. Hammond Sportsplex including but not limited to all staff, scheduling, leagues, training, teams, marketing, and facility maintenance. This includes ensuring the safety and quality of the facility while providing positive recreational experiences for guests.
Works under the general supervision of the Administrator for the Parks and Recreation Department. This position is part of the Hammond Parks and Recreation administrative team.
Supervises and directs Assistant General Manager basketball/volleyball, the Assistant General Manager soccer, the Office Registrar & Concessions Supervisor and Building Maintenance staff of the Sportsplex. Also supervises administrative assistants and other staff as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare annual budgets and work within those guidelines for operations of the Sportsplex
- Keep records of activities and attendance to evaluate use
- Ensure staff is maintaining facilities to meet the goal of a quality experience for visitors
- Oversee the marketing plan for the facility including social media platforms
- Coordinate sponsorship opportunities at the facility
- Facilitate Sportsplex group cooperation, effective communication, leadership and problem solving skills with customers and staff specific to facility operations
- Recommends rules and procedures for registration, maintenance, staff, and all other necessary requirements including recommending fees for guests, facility use and membership costs with approval of the Board of Park Commissioners
- Trains staff to maintain the facility to a first class level for the City of Hammond
- Keeps accurate records per policy including time sheets as required for supervised staff as required
- Assigns specific tasks to College Bound Volunteers, Community Service Workers and/or Volunteers or other assigned employee to perform work to meet department goals
- Acts as on-site contact for facility users and customers and for coordination of contractors for various facility improvements
- Develops, follows and initiates the correct procedure during emergency situations (weather, medical, etc.)
- Observes all regulations that pertain to staff and oversees the same for supervised staff
- Trains and performs other duties as assigned to ensure a quality user experience for all involved
- Acts in a hospitable manner during facility use and ensures the same of other supervised staff
- Possess the ability to multi-task
- Perform other duties as required and other tasks as assigned
Serves as a member of various employee committees, as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Sports Management, Sports Marketing, Leisure Studies, Recreation Management or related.
- Three (3) – Five (5) years’ experience in working at a Sports Complex or other similar equivalent experience in a supervisory position dealing with sports and other community related activities.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess the knowledge and skills for operating a sports complex.
- Possess the ability to work well with coworkers, the general public and facility users as well as be driven to work well independently.
- Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills both in written and verbal communication.
- Ability to speak Spanish is desired.
- State of Indiana Driver’s License
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Proof of and continued residency in the City of Hammond during employment term
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is frequently required to stand and/or walk; use hands to handle or operate equipment; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must routinely lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Formal application including salary history, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; background check may be required, job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
This position description does not constitute an employment contract. The City is an at-will employer.
Position will be posted internally from March 2, 2018, thru March 8, 2018. If the position is not filled internally it will be held open for external applications an additional ten (10) days. The position will remain posted until filled or no more than 10 days.