Department: Parks and Recreation Department
Date Requested:March 7, 2019
Date needed: ASAP
Job Title: Recreation Programs Supervisor
Salary: $44,379.00 annually full-time
Hiring will be done in accordance with Hammond City Ordinance #8620 as it pertains to the residency requirement.
The Recreation Programs Supervisor is responsible to the Parks and Recreation Administrator. The primary function of the Recreation Programs Supervisor is to plan, organize, coordinate, schedule and operate department recreation programs and activities at assigned facilities as well as to oversee activities and uses of the Civic Center arena and fitness center. This includes ensuring the highest level of customer service of all recreation staff.
Works under the general supervision of the Administrator for the Parks and Recreation department. This position is part of the Hammond Parks and Recreation administrative team.
Supervises and directs Civic Center office and fitness staff, department recreation staff, and volunteers for assigned recreation programs and facilities as required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate, plan and schedule recreational activities throughout City as well as at Civic Center facility
- Schedules, coordinates and supervises facility use of Civic Center facilities between city operations and other interested users
- Coordinates and prepares a recreational activity guide seasonally
- Responsible for hiring, supervising, training, scheduling and evaluating staff for recreation programs and Civic Center business office and fitness center to ensure first class operations
- Oversee social media platforms for department, assigned facilities and special events
- Responsible for operation and staff at pools and aquatic facilities
- Initiates and coordinates the solicitation of donations, in-kind donations, gifts and sponsorships for assigned programs and facilities
- Facilitate effective communication, leadership and problem solving skills with customers and staff
- Implements rules and procedures as approved by Board of Park Commissioners for registration, staff and all other necessary requirements to operate assigned programs
- Assigns specific tasks to College Bound volunteers, Community Service workers and/or volunteers or other assigned employees to perform work to meet department goals or program needs
- Follows and initiates the correct procedure during emergency situations (weather, medical, etc.)
- Perform other duties as required and other tasks which include supervision, coordination and assistance at special events and programs assigned
Serves as a member of various employee committees, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Park and Recreation Administration, Leisure Studies, Facility Management or related
- One (1) – Three (3) years’ experience in working in a recreation provider facility as a manager or other similar equivalent experience in a supervisory position dealing with parks, recreation and/or athletics related activities
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) certification is preferred
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess the knowledge and skills for planning, organizing and conducting a wide variety of recreation programs and the development of new programs and assigned special events
- Possess the ability to train, manage, schedule and oversee operations for the assigned recreation staff and facilities
- Ability to work well with coworkers, the general public and facility users as well as be driven to work well independently
- Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills both in written and verbal communication
- Must have computer literacy in word processing, data base, spread sheets and desktop publishing programs
- State of Indiana Driver’s License
- First Aid, CPR and AED certification
- Proof of and continued residency in the City of Hammond during employment term
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is frequently required to stand and/or walk; use hands to handle or operate equipment; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must routinely lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristic here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy. Approximately 50% of the position is done in an office setting while the other part is done in City of Hammond Parks and Recreation facilities.
Formal application including salary history, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; background check may be required, job related tests may be required. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position description does not constitute an employment contract. The City is an at-will employer.
Position will be posted internally only from March 7, 2019 thru March 13, 2019. If the position is not filled internally, it will be held open for external applications an additional ten (10) days. The position will remain posted until filled or no more than ten days.