Department: Inspection Department
Job Title: Inspector
Date Requested: July 27, 2020
Date needed: ASAP
Salary: $45,111.00 annually
- Inspector will serve as a representative of city government, demonstrating the ability to work with citizens in a proactive manner to comply with local ordinances and to bring about successful resolution of observed violations focusing on education assistance and if necessary appropriate legal action.
- Must be able to handle difficult situations with compassion and professionalism and interpret local ordinances and state codes.
- Ability and experience with window-based computer programs and demonstrate basic computer hardware and software proficiency.
- Must pass typing test with the ability to type 35 wpm prior to being interviewed.
- Ability to write English clearly and speak English fluently.
- Must be at least a high school graduate (or equivalent) with a demonstrated ability to read, write short memos/reports and communicate effectively.
- Construction trade experience and/or advanced education desired.
- Handles complaints from citizens, city administrators and elected officials in a timely, compassionate and professional manner.
- Investigate and enter all complaints, citations and observations into a window-based computer software program.
- Appear on behalf of the City of Hammond in court and provide detailed and concise information as needed.
- Follow instructions, directions and guidelines issued by Building/Code Commissioners and Chief of Inspections.
- Be professional in appearance and presentation.
- Prepare reports or written instruments such as memorandums as needed.
- Serves as liaison to other city departments on matters involving code enforcement and/or compliance.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Commissioner of Code Enforcement, the Mayor or designee.
- Participates in continuing educational programs when available.
- Ability to observe and recognize potential code enforcement violations and to verbally communicate the findings to the proper parties.
- Makes relatively standardized decisions while following laws and regulations, department guidelines and policies.
- Determines compliance with municipal codes and reports possible violations.
- Work is viewed on a regular continuing basis for compliance with guidelines and departmental policy by the Commissioner.
- The incumbent shall be exposed to various forms of weather.
- Code Enforcement Services Department Inspectors shall be employees of the Inspection Department, preferably with qualified technical training in theory and practice in the field of municipal codes.
ADA Essential Job Functions and Physical Requirements
- Be able to spend up to six hours a day walking and riding in vehicles.
- When necessary, demonstrate the ability to enter tight or cramped spaces.
- Be able to lift 10 lbs. on a consistent basis (laptop computer).
- Ability to hold digital camera steady to memorize the inspection with a photograph.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license with the ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Position will be posted internally from July 27, 2020 until July 31, 2020. If the position is not filled internally, it will be held open for external applications an additional ten (10) days. The position will remain posted until filled or no more than 10 working days.