Department: Public Works Department
Date Requested: October 5, 2017
Date needed: ASAP
Job Title: Diesel Mechanic
Salary: $9.00 per hour (starting pay), $20.99 per hour (after probationary period).
- Must have three (3) years mechanical experience
- Ability to lift seventy-five (75) pounds
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions
- Able to legally operate all departmental vehicles
- Must obtain CDL license within the ninety (90) day probationary period
- Ability to analyze and diagnose causes of mechanical and electrical breakdowns
- Extensive knowledge of standard practices, procedures and tools of the mechanical trade
- Working knowledge of repair manuals and parts catalogs
- Must have own tools: i.e. 1 ¼ inch socket, wrenches, etc.
- Must be able to operate welding machine, burning machine and plasma cutter
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of automotive engine & repair, fuel and ignition systems, brakes, climate control
- Knowledge of drive ability and emissions, automotive power trains and automotive transmissions
- Knowledge of truck brakes and chassis, diesel engines and diesel engine accessories
- Knowledge of diesel fuel systems, electronics fundamentals and hydraulic applications
- Knowledge of professional applications and advanced diagnostics systems
- Knowledge of truck preventive maintenance and automotive undercarriage
- Incumbent inspects, tests, adjust and makes repairs to motor vehicles, snowplows and salt spreaders
- Adjust or replaces fuel, electrical and cooling systems components such as carburetor, fuel and water pumps using hand tools
- Cleans spark electrodes and set plug gaps using a feeler gauge.
- Replace defective parts such as shock absorbers, tie-rod ends, ball joints, suspension break hoses and wheel bearings
- Install accessories such oil and filters, windshields wipers, fan belts and batteries
- Drain oil from crankcase and add new oil
- Lubricate moving parts of chassis with grease gun
- Performs related duties as required
Position will be posted internally from October 5, 2017 thru October 12, 2017. If the position is not filled internally it will be held open for external applications an additional ten (10) days. The position will remain posted until filled or no more than 10 days.