The Hammond Fire Department would like to remind Hammond residents of Indiana fireworks laws during the July 4th holiday season.
Fireworks can be purchased only by persons 18 years of age or older.
Locations where fireworks may be discharged:
- On the user’s property;
- On the property of someone who has consented to the use of fireworks on that property;
- At a special discharge location. (NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET OR VACANT LOTS)
Dates and times that fireworks may be discharged:
- Between 9:00am and 11:00pm on most days that are NOT holidays.
- On holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day and New Year’s Eve), fireworks may be used between 9:00am and midnight.
- On June 29-30, July 1-3 and 5-9, fireworks can be discharged until two hours past sunset. Check with local officials to see when fireworks can be discharged as local ordinances may further restrict usage.
Violators of this ordinance can be cited by the Hammond Police Department. If you would like to report a violation of this ordinance, please call 911 and an officer will respond to the area. Please provide the location of the potential violation to the dispatcher.
When discharging fireworks it is always a good idea to keep a garden hose or bucket of water nearby to extinguish any accidental fires.